Thursday, June 6, 2013

June Garden Observations

My garden is a mass of green with a bit of purple here and there. I think it's amazing- as the snow edged further away each day, leaving a mass of brown - mud and dead stuff, it didn't seem as if anything was there at all and the inactivity seemed to say there was nothing underneath. Last fall I marked the location of perennials like the purple coneflower, bee balm, rudbekia, hostas, soloman's seal, and the purple geraniums with craft sticks, but over the winter they must have been food for the critters; except for a few chewed half pieces, I couldn't find them this spring .
Bee Balm is growing well
This spring, a few weeds popped up (and were pulled) and a bit of green began to emerge. Now it's a mass of green, and some purple. The tall and short siberian irises are budding and blooming, the purple geranium has taken over (digging some up later) and the rudbekia and purple coneflower have come up enmass. I think. Their leaves are so close I can't tell the difference; I really hope I get some purple coneflower this year.  I did find a spot for the new dahlia tubers, and the glads that didn't do anything last year are doing something this year!
 My project over the past couple of years has been to stabilize the slope and populate the woods with plants. Hostas, solomon's seal, and a patch of lamb's ears are all doing well. The wild cranesbill I dug/separated and replanted are flowering, and the wild pink geranium is too...into the garden as well.

Solomon Seal in the woods

Wild Geranium invasion!

One advantage of a garden crammed with plants is that the weeds have no room to grow, so perhaps my work will be minimal later on with no weeding.
 
Next job - pots for the front, the back, the patio, the deck.  Annuals anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment